Friday, June 29, 2012

Still Not There Yet

Life is crazy.  After three weeks of dealing with intense issues from having mono, I then dealt with intense issues from my dad being in the hospital for a week.  Since then, life has just gotten more stressful.  And with a big trip coming up next week (one which I had hoped to be svelte for, but am not) I am still in stress mode.

But after some searching I have found what I hope will be a strategy for me to get back into exercise.  I've been out of it for basically two months, and have little energy because of the lack of activity and the mono recovery.  And the stress!

I have found, on Pinterest, a simple and doable (for me) home circuit training routine from the blog Blissfully Ever After.  I am going to try out the beginner list for a while and see how that helps.   So many of the home workout lists I have found are just too overwhelming for me right now.  This one requires no equipment (beyond a chair) and more importantly, IT IS A SHORT LIST.  Granted, you need to repeat the circuit.  But I just cannot go hard core right now.  I am exhausted.  


Each exercise is one minute long--either holding for one minute or doing as many reps as possible for one minute.  There is also a moderate and an advanced circuit list on this site, along with pics of most of the exercises.

I also really want to get back into running, er, attempting running.  Couch to 5k will begin today!  And this time, I am going to stay on each week's or day's plan until I am totally comfortable with it and find it easy.  No pressure.  No feeling scared of the coming week.  Right now, the most important thing for me to do is to MOVE!

Well, that and find a way to quit the emotional eating.  I have never had stress like this before and have never found myself so drawn to food as my drug of choice to deal with said stress.  It's almost uncontrollable.  But I know that all the exercise in the world is not going to do a lot of good if I keep downing Butterfingers and Little Debbie Zebra Cakes (can someone erase yesterday from my body please?) like they are going out of style.

Anyhow, I know it's been a long while since I've posted and I know I hardly have any followers.  But I just wanted to put this "out there"...that I'm trying hard to claw my way back to the fitness level I had before (which wasn't all that great, but it's better than what I have now).  And I am not giving up on trying to be healthier.  I have had to really think about my goals, and will probably rework them.  But I really have a desire to feel fit.  And enjoy the fringe benefits that go with that!

And I just can't seem to give up on the running thing.  I am not built for it, but I just WANT to run.  I want to be able to do it.  I can't explain it very well, but I feel driven to keep trying.  

I won't be around much over the next few weeks, but I'm on my way back.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go! I really like that circuit. I think I'll have to give it a whirl. Oh, I totally know what you mean with the Zebra Cakes. Those things are dangerous!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i keep telling myself, "as soon as i can get moved and settled i am going to start working out again, and eating better." the trouble is, i have been telling myself that for at least a couple of months. so, remember, your not alone. (do you hear the michael mclean background music?) lol! smile. everybody loves you and thinks your fab!!! have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie, I hope you are doing better. I was wondering why you have not been showing up in my feed. now I know why :O(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That circuit sounds great! Wish my pinterest account wasn't having issues so I could pin it for myself...

    I want you to know that I have been thinking about you lately. I am so sorry that ever since I got the Cooking Light magazine subscription I (incidentally) haven't been following. And we got a new computer that barely has favorites saved but I was so determined to check on how you're doing that I googled your blog! Anywho...I think you are AWESOME and I hate that you beat yourself up, too. It's easy to do; I do it, too. So I know how bad you can make yourself feel. I think Satan preys on such thoughts; the important thing is to try to remember to have hope and get through...replace the negativity with enCOURAGEment. The great thing about the Atonement is that you can use it any time; there is no reason to wallow in the things we wish were different when we can do something to change now. I know that is SO MUCH EASIER SAID than it is done, but also remember that sometimes a simple, "I'll try again tomorrow," makes me feel better and helps me stop beating myself up for what I didn't do today, or what I did today that I shouldn't have.

    It seems to me that there has been a lot of encouragement from General Authorities lately. I need it so I printed and taped some to my fridge. You might enjoy it, as well: --"Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do. Believe in youself and then live so as to reach your possibilities. You can achieve what you believe you can. Trust and believe and have faith." (Pres. Monson, "Living the Abundant Life," Ensign Jan. 2012. --"In reality, there aren't many things in a day that are totally without significance. Even the mundane and repetitious can be tiny but significant building blocks that in time establish the discipline and character and order needed to realize our plans and dreams. Therefore, as you ask in prayer for your daily bread, consider thoughtfully your needs--both what you may lack and what you must protect against. As you retire to bed, think about the successes and failures of the day and what will make the next day a little better. And thank your Heavenly Father for the manna He has placed along your path that sustained you through the day." (D. Todd Christofferson, "Recognizing God's Hands in Our Daily blessings," Ensign Jan. 2012)Gratitude is key.

    Another uplifting talk that I really enjoyed was from Elder Bednar from the April 2012 Ensign entitled, "The Atonment and the Journey of Mortality." I HIGHLY suggest reading it! It was very enlightening and encouraging. It talks about the Atonement as more than a source of forgiveness; it is what helps us accomplish the mighty change of heart that helps us overcome the natural man. I hope I don't sound preachy; I hope that something helps. :) Recently I got to attend an auxiliary training with Sister Dalton in which she said something along the lines of Bednar's talk: that the Atonement is the strengthening power behind her ability to do so much work for the Lord. (Her secretary doubted she could do all the things on her summer schedule.)

    I love you so much and think you're an inspiring woman. You are not, nor are you ever, a loser. YOU are WONDERFUL at so many things. But it's not about being good AT things. It's about being good FOR our Father in Heaven. I think the times when I'm not focused on the first and great commandment are when I'm the most unhappy. Focus on the good and keep at it. Also, you are very witty. I enjoyed those pins. The cat one took me a minute to realize he was talking about someone interrupting his reading by talking...lol--been there! :) You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to share.